Career and Academic Advising
Canada Career Counselling’s advising services are tailored for individuals who are clear about the career and/or educational path they want to pursue, but need support to reach their goals.
Are you having difficulty getting hired for the jobs you want?
Does the thought of going for an interview stress you out?
Are you feeling unsure about how to best navigate the post-secondary application process?
If you answered “yes” to one of these questions, our Advisors can help! We’re expert job search strategists and offer best practices for job and post-secondary applications. We’ll support you until you reach the finish line!
In addition to delivering individual career and academic advising services, we are pleased to offer custom advising packages, tailored to meet your specific needs. Speak to one of our Advisors today to learn more. We work with individuals across Canada and offer sessions in person as well as at a distance, through online video meetings.
Please note: If you are unsure about which career or educational path to pursue, you may be a better fit for career counselling.
Career advising is a service that helps individuals implement the best strategies and take the right steps to land their dream job or successfully prepare for a career transition.
From your resume, LinkedIn profile, to your job search strategy and interview skills, we’ve got you covered!
Our career advising services include:
Personal branding support
When did you last update your resume? Whether you’re in need of a full-service resume re-write, or you’re simply looking a for professional resume review, our Career Advisors will tailor their resume support to exactly what you need. Your resume is often the first personal branding document that recruiters and hiring mangers see, so it’s essential that it meaningfully speaks to your transferrable skills and effectively communicates your career achievements. Speak to one of our Career Advisors today to learn more about our boutique, professional resume services. Let us help put your resume to work for you!
- Cover Letter
Our clients often tell us that writing cover letters is one of the most frustrating and time-consuming parts of their job search. While the short answer is, “yes, you absolutely need to tailor your cover letter for each position you apply to,” we can help you to expedite the process! Let us develop a savvy, customizable cover letter template that suits your style. We’ll teach you how to effectively showcase your relevant background and soft skills, and share tips to get your application noticed.
Maintaining a LinkedIn profile has become a necessity when it comes to your professional identity. It’s a powerful networking tool and an important component of your personal brand. Whether you’re just getting started with LinkedIn, needing support with a profile update, or looking to learn how to leverage the site’s features, our Career Advisors have your back! We can help you:
- Create or enhance your profile; strategically position yourself in your chosen industry
- Learn LinkedIn best practices
- Get discovered by recruiters and hiring managers
- Understand how to build a meaningful network and leverage your connections
- Optimize the career management and job search features of LinkedIn
Job search strategy
Are you on the hunt for a new job but struggling to get the results you want? Finding a new job shouldn’t have to feel like a full-time job! Have a more positive experience and develop a personalized job search strategy with one of our Career Advisors today. Learn how to optimize the time you dedicate to your search, who to reach out to and follow up with, and why you need to take ownership over your search. Take action with intention! We’ve helped hundreds of individuals stay accountable and optimistic during their job searches and are ready to support you too!
Interview skills coaching
Job interviews provide employers with a first impression of who you are and if you’re a good fit for the role they’re hiring for. They’re also a great chance for you to learn more about the position and the organization, so it’s important that even the most qualified candidates prepare appropriately! If you want to enhance your interview skills so you can nail your interview performance, we can:
- Teach you about the different interview formats and questioning techniques
- Help you learn how to present your experience as it translates to your next career move
- Assist you in identifying and speaking about your accomplishments
- Develop sample questions tailored to the industry, companies, and positions you’re interested in
- Work with you to prepare personalized questions to ask the employer
- Help you learn how to explain gaps and/or transitions in your employment
- Provide you with feedback about your answers, body language, eye contact, tone of voice and presentation skills
Whether you’ve got an interview scheduled or you simply want to hone your skills ahead of time, we’ve got you covered. Build your confidence and feel prepared! Speak to one of our Career Advisors today to learn more.
Do you know which career you’re aiming for but feel unclear about which programs will help you reach your goal?
Maybe you’re clear about the degree you want but are uncertain about which school is best suited to you. Or, perhaps you know exactly which schools and programs you’re interested in but are overwhelmed with the application process.
If you need support navigating the next steps of your education, let our Academic Advisors help! We work with high school students (16+), post-secondary students, and adults with mature student status.
Academic advising services include:
- Information about post-secondary options and guidance with decision making for fit
- Clarification of admission criteria and the application process
- Advice about application strategy to enhance your chances of admission
- Scholarship and bursary resources
- Support with developing authentic and impactful application essays/personal statements
- Admission and scholarship interview coaching
- Standardized testing strategy and preparation
- Learning styles assessments
- Study skills support and effective exam preparation
Our Academic Advisors have expertise in applications for programs in Canada, the US, the UK, and Australia. We are also knowledgeable about many of the schools and programs in these countries.